Sunday, January 16, 2011

So far...

For those who may be reading this and won't know what I'm talking about, here's a little info to fill you in. Last year I embarked on a weight loss journey. I tried Weight Watchers first (as I had once before without much success) and started on April 27th. By the time we decided to visit with a midwife in June for a consultation about plans to start a family and figure out what we needed to do to make my goals happen...things got REAL. Let's just say I had a panic attack for the first time in my life after she brought up my health and weight issues...which made it painfully obvious how deep my demons ran. She was very brunt, though not unkind, and I am thankful for it every day.

I realized it was time to get my head on straight, get healthy, and mean it...and for real this time. No pussy-footing around! I was wasting precious time in life acting like I was fine being the unhealthy person I'd become. Things had to happen if I wanted to reach certain goals in my life.

After my husband suggested we, "think outside the box and try something new," because everything I'd done in the past hadn't worked, I relinquished some control and let him figure something out for me. He suggested we try a low-carb/no sugar diet, a la "Atkins." I was adamantly against the idea because of all the stigma associated with it and played the part of a mule well. Unfortunately, we were on a 5 hour drive to the Ozarks for a long vacation and he was in the passenger seat, with nothing to do. He pulled out Dr. Atkins' book and started reading to me while I drove. Grrrr! I had no escape and had to listen! Luckily, everything he read hit home and I realized I was one of the carb-intolerant people Dr. Atkins was addressing. Why not try it? He was right...everything else hadn't worked. (I had only lost like 8 pounds on WW in the 3 months I'd been doing it.) We started doing the diet that weekend. Yes, I said, "we." He was so supportive of me he felt that it was in my best interest if he did it as well...and he wanted to lose a few pounds anyway. What a lucky gal I am!

That was the best thing - to have someone in it with me. And my husband, no less! It made shopping, cooking, and motivation so much easier! When we got home from our trip, we emptied out the house and donated 10 (yes, 10!) grocery sacks of carb-laden food so that we wouldn't have a thing to tempt us within reach. I had gotten a physical and had my bloodwork done before we started the diet luckily, so I already had a baseline established too.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...to be continued. (Gotta run for now.)
~A

No comments:

Post a Comment